Thursday, July 13, 2006


chapter 2

The Shanghai Boulevard

When I wobbled down the boulevard
Feeling more dizzy than high
under a paled moon in a silky blue scarf
Like a veiled lantern over the western sky

I giggled
loud enough for me to hear
when I struggled
to look for another round of beer
before the day come to light

I startled
two, or three, shadowy guards who stood
upright
at the gate of the American Consulate
that only works for the American expats
living in the neighborhood

I grumbled
feeling more hazy than right
when I stumbled by
under a dangling frail light
above their military hats
They turned to look
but never moved
That was good

When the night's getting paler and deader
I was so glad that
I found my next stop for a cheer
right around the corner
at the end of Shanghai Boulevard

I could hear it so clear
when I tumbled down the fading morning moon light
the broken-up radio waves pounding in my heavenly channeled ear
And I chuckled with delight that
I had had some fun the night
before

Photo Copyright: Oliver Oliver

No comments: